Quote of the Month

Quote of the Month
Quote of the Month: July 2017

Sunday, May 29, 2016

About My Opinionated Artciles

I decided to go ahead and write a little thing about what my articles actually are as I'm using the term 'article' rather loosely. I should note the dictionary definition defines the term 'article' as "a piece of writing included with others in a newspaper, magazine, or other publication. 'an article about middle-aged executives'. synonyms: report, account, story, write-up, feature, item, piece, column, review, commentary. 'an article in the paper'". My 'articles' however are simple ways for me to express my own personal opinions on certain matters and subject areas that I think are important to share.

I think it's important to note that I do try to avoid heavy rants as I think these can spit the crowd too much, and I will also use facts where I feel it's important to do so, so that I may have supportive evidence to back what I'm talking about. Generally I will only do this for longer pieces, or pieces that I want more hard facts than just me spewing off my own personal ideas. So far the only OA (opinionated article) I felt it was absolutely necessary to do this for was "Environmental Care" which was actually based off my speech for my COM class, which is why it had to have so many facts. That and without them I think the article would not have the punch I wanted it to have.

I didn't think I needed such hard evidence for my other more recent OA's "Advocating a...Crude Industry" as this was just supposed to be a short and fun little read, not a persuasive in-your-face filled-with-facts thing.

Needless to say if you should ever want facts to back up any claims or opinions I make in any of my articles but you find I don't provide such support well or at all, email me or leave a comment about it and I promise I'll do the research so I may either grant you this support, or I might even recant a position I originally took.

No comments:

Post a Comment